Sunday, May 19, 2013

DIY Week 14

DIY Week 14

This Week:
This week was really fun for DIY! We brought over twenty pictures of all sizes, that were once on the wall of the team room, home to my house. I went over to home depot and bought black spray paint to turn the oak and extremely out dated picture frames into black, sleek, and modern. I laid clear painters tarp on my grass, taped newspaper around the glass, and got ready to spray. I did one picture but the frame turned out rough and really dusty with paint. It clearly wasn't looking too nice yet. I had to "adapt and overcome" this situation. 

I drove back over to home depot and bought semi-gloss black paint and brushes. I got home and laid down newspaper in the kitchen and once again prepared to paint. I sanded each frame to make the paint stick first. Then, I painted the first four frames really quickly! It was really fun and sort of relaxing. However, after about seventeen frames I began to dread doing this part of the project all alone. Four hours later, I was done and the picture frames looked fabulous! 

Picture frames drying in my living room

After I was done, I realized I had yet another rode block. I was looking at the pictures and realized that the most current pictures, that I am in, weren't painted. Those pictures either didn't have frames, or the glass broke from the frame. So, I had to buy five more black frames for these pictures. 

We also wrote a non-profit letter for Mr. Herzfeld to sign so that we could try to get a grant from Home Depot for the flooring and seating for the team room. We will find out in the next few weeks!

Next Week: 
Next week we will be able to clarify if we can get a grant from Home Depot on the flooring. If we can't, we will be steam cleaning. Also, we have to hang the pictures back up, the whiteboard, and get curtains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment