Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Life of a Swimmer

The Life of a Swimmer

For the past two weeks I have gotten back into shape and into my usual routine of going to school, doing homework, going to swim practice, and then to bed. However, this year, there is a new twist. There are morning practices at 5 a.m. I know that this is usual for swimmers. However, I desperately need my sleep. I woke up for morning practice and successfully made it to every single one for the last two weeks. It was miraculous!

For a swimmer, the amount of pool time that you have is extremely important. Therefore, the reason why my coach started morning workouts. I know that this new amount of yardage will definitely make me a faster swimmer. My goal this year is to get two sectional cuts. This means in layman's terms, swimming so fast that you look like you could be in the Olympics. Im not going to go to the Olympics but Im happy that this year I have new goals that I have set.

Over the summer, I was inspired by little kids that were less than 8 years old to strive to be even better this year. I coached for the Green Valley Dolphin swim team in Fountain Valley, California to help young kids learn how to swim and to develop their love for the sport. I truly believe that they inspired me. These kids were at practice every day without a complaint. They wanted to be better and they had so much fun every day.


Now, with my new practice schedule I have tried to have an attitude much like the ones of the 8 year olds. So far, it has worked very well. In practice, I make sure not to skip laps and push myself to be better. I have finally figured out how to keep myself focused and motivated. I have the little kids as an example but I also have found several inspirational songs to sing in my head while I'm working out.
 Let's Go- By Calvin Harris

"Just keep swimming" This is a picture of me at the same age as the kids I am now coaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment