Friday, October 12, 2012

Swimming and Lightning Don't Mix


It went from being almost 80 degrees and beautiful on Monday to cold, rainy,  and almost fall-like on Wednesday in Huntington Beach, California this past week. I woke up at the crack of dawn (5AM before the sun even rose) Wednesday morning. It was rather chilly with a breeze that made me want to go back into my warm bed as I walked out my door to go to swim practice. I had stayed up late the previous night doing AP Biology homework; I was praying that I wouldn't have to swim that morning. I made it on my way to practice and I drove all the way to Beach Boulevard towards Ocean View High School when I saw the sky light up.


There was a big flash of lightning that illuminated the entire black sky in my view. I said to my mom, "Maybe I wont have to freeze this morning!" However, when I arrived on the deck my Russian coach didn't seem to think that the lightening was close enough to us in order to stay out of the pool. The five us that came were all scared and protesting. Then it began to pour and became very windy. At that point, my bed seemed like a fabulous place to be versus getting into a pool that wasn’t covered the night before. 

My coach was relentless and said that the lightening was way too far away because he didn't hear any thunder. We threw our kick-boards and other materials by the edge of the pool, ran, and dove into the ice-cold water. It was cold. It was raining. I was tired. After doing a 1,000-yard warm up I made it back to the wall and realized, everyone was out of the water. I was kind of confused at first; then I heard the thunder. I swear I jumped out of that water as fast as I possibly could. 

Coach Vladi was very proud of the 5 of us that actually showed up to this practice. He deemed us "professional" swimmers; more like the more dedicated ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment