Saturday, October 6, 2012

Splash Magazine Lessons From London

Over the past seven years of being a participant in USA swimming I have automatically received the "Splash" magazine with several interesting and insightful tips on how to eat healthy, train, and have the right mind set in order to be successful in swimming. My magazine this month in the October issue had an article that I loved discussing the different lessons everyone should learn from all of the athletes that competed in London. In the article on magazine by Aimee C. Kimball, PhD, she quotes, "Whether you watched five hours or 500 hours you can learn a lot from what the athletes went through and how they competed" (page 16). She stated six great lessons to be learned from the swimmers at this past summers Olympic games in London.

The first lesson was to compete. Kimball gave the definition as, "giving it their all" (page 16). I agree with her statement completely that a person truly isn't a competitor unless they give it all they've got. My motto is always "leave everything in the pool". Swimmers must focus on their own race; not the people next to them or if the competitors are better than them. Just compete and again, leave everything in the pool.

The second lesson was to play to win. "If athletes go into competition afraid to lose, they will not compete to their potential" (page 16). This is definitely a very important one. Swimmers cant psych themselves out before a race. They must be calm, cool, and collective yet pumped to win. You must have confidence in order to get where you want to go. Otherwise, the more confident and competitive will leave you at the end of their trail of bubbles.

Silver is still success was the third lesson from Kimbell's article. A lot of swimmers or athletes say, "second place is the first to lose". Yes, this is literally true but someone would way rather be in second than in fifth place. I use a second place as a motivation to get first the next time. People can't beat themselves up especially when you do your best. Second is one step closer to first.

The fourth lesson was "win and lose with grace and dignity". One of the things I hate the most is when a swimmer right after a race they won was extremely cocky or on the other extreme, so upset that they make up some lame excuse for not winning. First of all, no one likes a cocky person. Please, just be humble. Secondly, don't make up a dumb excuse for losing. Own up to it. Be better next time.

Compete and cooperate is a lesson that everyone can use in all aspects of life. I compete and constantly swim against some of my best friends. I don't always win because they are extremely talented swimmers. However, I use them as people to push me to be better and to work harder. I don't beat myself up when they beat me. I just say to myself, "next time". Sometimes I do actually beat them the next time, sometimes I don't. Overall, healthy competition is a good thing.

The last lesson is to enjoy the experience. Several times a week I groan and sigh when I have to go to practice. However, I must remind myself that I do swim for a reason. I do actually love it. I have trouble skipping a Friday night football game or a sleepover with friends every once in a while. I just have to remember that I have friends on the team that are sacrificing the same things, as I am to be at practice too. So, on those nights I spend it with my swim friends in the pool. Most of the time it is just as fun as going to the football game.

No comments:

Post a Comment